AI: Helpful or Harmful?

 To me, artificial intelligence seems just wrong. I really prefer having a physical reference, as well as thinking through things myself. I don't think that it is smart to put more trust in a computer than a human, because I don't think they could ever make the same decisions. In 2001 Space Oddessy, HAL had full control over the entire ship, and started to target each man-- fearing that they will compromise the mission. I think that humans have the ability to incorporate empathy into logic, which can make a big difference. For example, in the movie, the two astronauts had to discuss 'killing' HAL because of his mistakes, and the other alternatives that they had. HAL had no hesitation, he immediately decided to kill all the men on the ship in order to 'save the mission'. Why did he have to kill the men in hibernation? They wouldn't have known that HAL made a mistake. In a way, AI is too extremist for mankind's' sake.

The craiyon renderings are a good example of how AI is not exactly like a human mind. In my head, when typing "a cat wearing a grape costume at a dinner party", I had an image imagined in my mind, but the computer renderings were slightly off of an image that would actually make sense. 


Some other Space Oddessy notes/observations:
- THE THEME OF RED: Started with the 'Dawn of Man', and red/red lighting continued throughout the whole movie, especially present during space travel scenes- has to do with intelligence?
-TERRITORIAL: The original monkeys were fighting over territory, the men were passive-aggressively fighting over knowledge/ the moon, and HAL was fighting against man for access to the 'mission'
THE ENDING: The visuals went from technological to organic, life forms. It reminded me of early cell life, and some parts reminded me of the northern lights. Then the very end- what was the meaning? Something about human mortality? Or was it referencing time travel? Was Dave ever supposed to make it that far? The visuals kind of reminded me of the movie The Abyss, where higher, more intelligent life tries to teach mankind a lesson. 



Comments

Popular Posts